This is a little out-dated and I am drawing on my wonderful memories of only having lived in my home Happy, simply home for two weeks before having to leave…
I hope this gives a bit of an idea just amazingly happy and simple a typical day is in the Happy, simply. – lifestyle model and education project! For me at least!
- A lovely wake up to the sounds of birds near the open window just a metre from my face and snug and cosy in the loft of the Happy, simply home.
- A quick organisation of clothes from the loft on the rail hung from the ceiling and down the ladder into the rest of my lovely home
- I would usually kick off a day with a walk, run or ride to get the blood moving and to be out in the day and see what the world is up to – fortunately from the Happy, simply home I have an array of choices of beach, mountain bike trails, hills and trail runs
- Brekky is a simple pleasure and usually I don’t bother with cooking anything so a gathering of water from my water tank and a simple brekky of fruit and cereal
- Time to work which is often a combination of emails, writing blogs, preparing presentation and running campaigns on social justice topics and issues with the Global Poverty Project and currently The End of Polio campaign
- My work space is sufficient with a fold out desk, warm by 10am from direct sunlight and with a view of the outside and street to keep me sufficiently distracted!
- Lunch moves me to the other side of the home to the other desk in the room to prepare breads, spreads, crackers or whatever is floating about. Often I will sit in the door space or the front deck to eat and observe what might be happening in that little window on the world that day
- Clean up is easy with my kitchen on the front deck – water tank, a tub and drying rack – nothing fancy and where just enough is plenty
- Afternoon might be some work, play, catch ups, etc in the home or community
- By late arvo I usually look to head out again for a ride, swim (if warm enough) or long walk to try and catch an incredible Paekakariki sunset – my favourite free gift everyday!
- Sufficiently warm from some activity I have a solar water shower off the back corner of the house and feel all sparkly and clean
- As evening comes in I switch to solar powered LED lights, solar radio and prepare dinner on a camping stove
- The night has me, reading, writing, thinking, talking and often walking just before bed to take in the day and often beautiful night sky and stars
- Use of the compost toilet, teeth brush and up the ladder to the loft for a spot of reading before closing my eyes with a smile on my face in a home that was built by strangers who became friends and care about the world enough to volunteer and learn together to create the Happy, simply home
I know this is all a bit pathetic and ideological and it is a combo of most days…
The practical functions of the day are pretty simple with basic needs and therefore basic resources and surroundings.
I’m sure there would be a lot of questions ‘what about…?’ But really life can be as simple as you make it and often is for me in the context of a day like this, it is. I didn’t stumble into a lifestyle like this automatically or easily it has taken a lot of learning, conscious planning and deliberate decisions and actions but it is a very rich and fulfilling way of life – for me 🙂