An email to the people who have already put up their hand to help out or who might be keen to help out!
I am sad to be back in Australia after 5 weeks living in the wonderful Happy, simply home in Aotearoa New Zealand, but happy to be building another one in Australia!.
Here is the big update for the Happy, simply home on how the building schedule will look (more or probably – less)!
The essential idea of Happy, simply is not necessarily the end product but the process it is built so please see the schedule as a rough guide and an atmosphere of learning and sharing. This is not a professional workshop but more a chance for everyone to have a go and build a home together (with a few wise and experienced hands about the place).
Your efforts are going to be greatly appreciated and I can guarantee your learning and happiness will match your help and more! Plus once finished the Happy, simply home is open for all to experience a night or two in happy, simplicity!
See below for more details! Also keep in touch on the blog: https://happysimply.wordpress.com, the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/happysimplysa/ and the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/382302941912081/
Cheers, d’Arcy. (Beau, Lindsay, Sam, Charlie and more!)
So here is the nitty gritty of the building component of the Happy, simply home in South Australia. However I do have to point out that the nature of a community project like this will mean materials will vary, plans will change and the outline below will probably not be exact to the day. But no matter what we will have some kind of home built by 8 June!
See below for timeline, logistics, skills you will acquire and more… and please keep in touch with the blog the Happy, simply Facebook page, share this with others who might be keen to join in on the Happy, simply Facebookevent page and see the short youtube clip from last year’s Happy, simply building project in Aotearoa New Zealand : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl8safGwXhQ
What people will learn! An outline of what people will learn and what they walk away with. What can they expect?
Keywords and interests here are: building, design, architecture, sustainability, simplicity, community, self-sufficiency and where less is more and just enough is plenty!
But really this is a building and design project to learn why and how to design and build a house in the most simple step-by-step way with maximum sustainability.
Proposed Schedule Day by Day Outline of the Build (subject to change)
|Day / Date
|Fri 16 May
||Get together the core team to thoroughly plot out the course for the build and get it happening! All invited – just let me know so I can pass on details
|Fri 16 May – Fri 23 May
||It will be an action packed week sourcing all the materials for the build! Help here is greatly appreciated…
|Tues – Fri20 – 23 May
||We are building on an old caravan trailer but at the moment there is still an old caravan on the trailer! We need to get it off, salvage as much as we can and prep the trailer to be the platform for the Happy, simply home!Keep in mind school students are involved on Tues & Wed
|Sat / Sun24 / 25 May
||Start Building! Days 1 & 2
||Starting from scratch – site prep, set-up platform on trailer for homeStart plotting frames, doors, windows and roof
|Mon – Fri26 – 30 May
||Finish framing, stand framing and join, weather-tight, insulate & prepare for cladding. Keep in mind school students are involved on Tues & Wed
|Sat / Sun – 31 May / 1 June
||This is crunch time to get as much done with lots of folks on a fun w/end!Finishing jobs from weekdays, prepping cladding and solar, lots of little projects and tasks to keep everyone busy
|Mon – Fri2 – 6 June
||Filling in all the bits – inside lining, interior aspects, outside additions, solar, eaves, decks, all structural work mostly completed. Keep in mind school students are involved on Tues & Wed
|Sat / Sun7 / 8 June
||Outer & final touches
||Very important weekend to get a good idea of all the work involved.Outside and finishing touches – attach & adjust. Hook up solar, water capture, eaves, compost toilet, interior planning
|Mon / Thurs9 / 12 June
||Final bit & clean up
||Last remaining touches (if any – I’m hoping not), the clean up and last polish! Painting, interior sourcing and designing, the little touches
|Fri 13 June
||Happy, simply home PARTY
||Come see the final product, cheers to all involved and a community celebration!
Logistics: Date, times, location, etc
- Location: Aldinga Arts Eco Village, Aldinga (40km south of Adelaide), South Australia map: https://goo.gl/maps/jlRvp
- When: Anytime from planning this Friday 16 May to party 13 June (with the major building period 24 May – 8 June)
- Days are 9am-5pm as much as possible
- Cost is free, thanks to generous builders and carpenters and donation might be welcome to them if you feel you want to…
- Food – we will try and get donated food as much as possible but please be self-sufficient as well
- Accommodation: we have a few spots for longer-term volunteers at homes and caravans in the Village – so let us know if you need, spots for camping, a few spots away from the build site in Willunga and surrounds, and local caravan park, etc…
What you need to bring
- Gloves, hat, covered shoes, eye and ear protection if you have them
- Warm clothes if cold; suncream if hot! Lots of layers to transition from cool mornings to warm afternoons
- You will need any tools you might have access to (plus makes you look legitimate) – hammer, powered tools like a powered drill, etc
- Fun and learning attitude! – Happy, Simply.
Learning and Skills You are Sure to Gain:
Depending a little on which stage of the build you choose (or ALL of it!) you will learn/do:
- Tiny house: Pros and cons of a small dwelling
- Passive design concepts: how to get a better energy efficient dwelling
- Choosing the right spot and orientation
- Starting from scratch: adjusting design according to recycled materials available
- ‘Set-out’ of the dwelling: Obtain reference point, boundary lines, site levels and understand ground conditions
- Learn basic timber-framing: measure, cut, squareness, level, bracing, fixing, etc.
- How to erect a wooden structure
- Install openings in walls (windows and doors) and seal the joints
- Third Skin: How to achieve a breathable, insulated and waterproof dwelling
- Install your own solar system and water collection
- Handy tricks for DIY – like stair making, eaves, toilet and shower shelter, bike shed, etc
Then you’ll be ready to build your own Happy, simply lifestyle model and 10m2 studio!
Contacts: d’Arcy https://happysimply.wordpress.com/
Support and a little wish list…
We are looking for the following if possible to help the project along:
- Materials! I will send a list of specifics but in particular at the moment we are looking for: plywood sheets, internal cladding (gyprock, etc), structural beams, structural timber and screws
- Food – anyone who might want to help in making and donating food to volunteers or leftovers from bakeries, cafes, restaurants, etc
- Media outreach – papers, radio, online, etc…
- Sharing the project with others so they can come and have a look and interaction with the concept and reality – community groups, schools, anyone!
This looks like it is important… Maybe for the builders? 🙂
How cool does this look! Only thing missing is a little shelter on the back deck that will be toilet / shower and a smaller one that will be the bike shed
Taken from Laneways Learning